Time for an update on the Happiness Journal! Here’s a glimpse at the things that have made my heart happy over the past week…
14. Moments of genuine laughter with my amazing staff
15. My gorgeous flowers from the most thoughtful coworker for National Bosses’ Day & getting an email about a Kindergarten & 5th grade collaborative art project inspired by a story I featured in a Web Gems post
16. Reading all of the excited texts from Gina about her engagement photos
17. Painting at The Happy Easel with University Professional Women – such a fun event outside of the normal luncheons!!
18. A great maternity portrait shoot with Whitney & Chris
19. Coming home from my third shoot of the weekend to a delicious home-cooked meal Max made
20. Catching up with a former bride & starting to dream up some exciting collaborations/plans for b.marie.photography – such a great mix of personal life updates, laughter, excitement about where things are going for each of our endeavors, and appreciating talking to someone who just ‘gets it’ when it comes to a creative business
21. Going to the SFA Volleyball game with my dad and Peanut. It was so fun to go back to our old tradition of catching mid-week games together, and bringing Peanut along for the first time was too much fun. She loved it, and I loved watching my dad show Peanut the sport he loved to watch me play.
As a part of my Yearly Bucket List, I’ve been keeping a Happiness Journal in the month of October. It’s not in a cute notebook, or a classy leather-bound journal. It’s on my iPhone. It doesn’t have pictures to accompany each day’s entry. In fact, there really aren’t many photos to go along at all (just a few phone shots). They aren’t long entries detailing exactly what that brand of happiness felt like. To sum up – it’s not what I planned on doing.
But it’s perfect. It’s enough for me to remember that moment. I didn’t have to break out of the happiness to try to get a blog-worthy photo that could get the essence of that happiness across. I get to just wholly be in that moment, and jot it down on my phone later.
As I go, I’ll post updates of the things – both big & little – that spurred a feeling of genuine happiness. I’ve already found that I’m much more aware of each happy moment throughout my day – definitely a great thing!!! Here’s days 1-13:
- Having Dad here in town to take care of a sick Peanut.
- Recovering better than expected from my wisdom teeth coming out – hooray for not much swelling!!
- Happy that we are able to have medicine to give Peanut to help her feel better.
- Gorgeous weather outside – a little glimpse of fall.
- Seeing Peanut in her “Daddy’s Grilling Buddy” outfit – complete with chef hat and mitt! (This is one I’ll be sure to get better photos of later, but on that day I was not feeling good at all!)
- Curling up with reading materials – a book recommended by a good friend, and “trash” magazines that Max picked up for me to read during my recovery!
- Seeing my First Year Photo Project students opening up and supporting one another as they were talking about their fears.
- Finally having Advil kicking in to relieve my horrible headache.
- Watching the Texans game with my mom – her enthusiasm is oh-so-entertaining, and I love that she’s passed down her love of football to me!
- Peanut running over to me to come snuggle for a minute as I headed out the door to work.
- Taking my best friend’s engagement photos!!!! (Gotta post a sneak peek… be on the lookout for more of these two soon!)
- Warm oatmeal chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven.
- Peanut saying “mama” and taking multiple breaks during playing to come snuggle into my chest for a few seconds. Cue this mama’s heart bursting with happiness and love!
Lots of little things (and lots of great people) that have made a big impact on my heart and on my day!!
What’s something that made you happy in the past few days?